Pages

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

This Isn't About Coffee. Or Wine.


First, let's discuss the Boston Marathon tragedy today. It just makes me sick. My heart breaks for those affected and my fists want to punch those responsible. And then maybe kick them. Hard. AND THEN send them to rot in jail for life. 

(Okay, maybe I wouldn't actually kick them. That doesn't solve anything. But I would want to. Really bad.)

I just can't understand who would do such a thing. It boggles the mind.




My dad is an avid runner. Like, he's the crazy dude who is up at 5am every morning, cranking our six miles like it's nothing. And it isn't to him. I bet he doesn't even break a sweat anymore. The man laughs in the face of a half marathon. He trains for marathons, but not much. He just runs them, like no big deal.

He's the kind of runner I aspire to be one day.  Which, by the way, might actually happen if I could get my butt motivated to put on my damn running shoes...




For the last -ummmm- million years, he runs two marathons a year - always in different states and new cities. Last year he crossed Seattle off his list and the year before that he checked off Portland Maine in the middle of a nor'easter storm. He's run Boston several times and I think it will always have a special place in his heart because it is such a personal accomplishment. 




I vividly remember drawing out a gigantic sign that said "Congratulations Scott!" I wish could remember which neighbor or family friend or grandparent was responsible for that sign. We attached each end of the sign to yard sticks and hammered them into the front lawn. As I recall, that sign stretched clear across the yard for my dad to see when he returned home from his first Boston trip.

I was just a kid, but I knew the importance of that marathon. 

And I've got to tell you, I'm so grateful that he didn't run it this year.

Dad? Are you listening? I'm glad you're sitting in your green recliner at home right now.




Anyway, the point of this post was to ramble on about all the fun Annie and I had this weekend. But somehow that just seems silly to talk about today. Really, all we did was drink a bunch of coffee and wine - not important or unusual.

At least now you know why there are photos of a coffee shop and not Boston or my dad. Sorry about that.


Sending all of my good thoughts down to Boston....

Tomorrow I'll dust off the ole running shoes.


No comments:

Post a Comment