Pages

Friday, October 21, 2011

Fire and Rain.

Part of the reason I like having a blog so much is because it forces me to do stuff. But some days, like today, I didn't do anything. Not blog worthy anyway. I didn't take any photos either.

It was raining this morning. I got up, made coffee, showered, got dressed and headed out the door. My car was parked outside as always. When it rains there is always a gigantic puddle right next to my door. In my hurry, with my hands full, I attempted to leap over the puddle and stretch my right leg into the car while keeping my left leg on the other side of the puddle in order to save my shoes from an early morning swim. As I was mid stretch I head a riiiiiiiip. That would be the seam of my pants. Awesome. Once I was safely in the car I inspected the damage. Yup, there was a nice little big hole right below my zipper. Realizing I was late for work, and considering the downpour, I turned the car on and left. With a hole in my pants.

The beauty of a rainy day like today is that it eases my irrational fear of my house burning down. Every afternoon when I turn the corner onto our street I lean forward to make sure there are no signs of fire trucks sitting at the curb. You think I'm kidding. As I make the turn I'm simultaneously going through my fire prevention check that I did that morning. I turned off the coffee pot. I turned off my flat iron. I turned off the oven last night. The dryer is not running. But when it rains I figure there can't be a fire. Fires can't burn in rain, right? Even if I left every single appliance on, the house couldn't burn down if it tried. Why? Because rain is like nature's fire prevention. Please don't tell me otherwise.

My point is, while the rain caused me to split my pants this morning it also relieved my daily burden of worrying about a fire. Hole in my crotch versus burned down house....hmmm...

Alex, I take hole in my crotch for $500 please.




Maple doesn't worry about any of these things. Do you think she wants to trade brains with me sometime?




Speaking of yawning, I don't have to work tomorrow. Which means that I'll be sleeping in tomorrow morning. Which means that I can have an extra glass of wine right now. Thankyouverymuch.




Maybe I'll be able to find the time to finish up going through Carla's prego photos that I took last week.




What do you think? Boy or girl? Carla and her husband are letting it be a surprise! We have to wait until Christmas to find out. For the record, I think it's a sweet baby girl.

_________________________________________


Workout: Elliptical - 30 minutes, Circuit - 60 jump ropes, 25 crunches on a ball, 10 "real" push-ups, 10 squats with 10lb bicep curls, 12 tricep dips with feet on a ball, 20 mountain climbers. 4 times

2 comments:

  1. I totally stumbled on your blog today through Blogher. I'm a new member and just updated my directory and found yours. I was hooked at ' a new wife' from the south, who is living in a 100 year old house, because, that's me! I'm a semi-newlywed (and new parent!) and a southern girl who is living in her grandparent's 100 year old farmhouse! I'm a new follower here :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't listen to Adele's song 'Set Fire to the Rain"...

    ReplyDelete