Pages

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Motivation. Getting it Back.


I am lacking motivation, people. Someone send help immediately.

Last spring I was on a workout kick. Every night you could find me at the gym happily crankin' out a 90 minute workout. Some nights I would be there for 2 hours if I was really feeling it. The goal was to lose twenty pounds and get back in shape. 

Now, several months later, I've met my goal and managed to maintain it. Here's the problem: it's not enough. In June my new weight felt awesome and strong. Now I've gotten used to it and it feels like flab. Crazy, right? 

It's not about the weight anymore. Or the actual size. It's about how strong I feel. And right now, I don't feel strong, I feel like a marshmallow.



This seems like an easy fix. Continue my workouts and continue our healthy eating plan. But I'm not continuing my workouts. I'm barely eating healthy. I've fallen off the wagon. If I don't get back on soon those pounds are going to find their way back to my thighs and then I'm really going to be pissed.

Why is the gym suddenly boring? Why is it that I can't stand the elliptical or treadmill for more than 15 minutes? Why do I walk out of the gym instead of going towards the weights? It's madness, I tell you.



After giving this some serious thought I came up with a solution -- go back to classes. I'm talking spin, yoga, Body Pump, Zumba, the whole lot of them. In fact, I planned on going to a class every night this week. But instead I missed them all in favor of a quick nap on the couch. 



Don't get me wrong, I've still been going to the gym. I've just been lacking gusto. For the past few weeks I've been averaging about 15 minutes of cardio per night, a few sets of lunges or squats and some abdominal work. This is lacking but it has showed me something -- I'm drawn to the gym's studio.

The studio is gorgeous. It has nice hard wood floors, good lighting, big mirrors and no weights or machines. This is where I do my lunges. Or squats. Or whatever else I can come up for entertainment.



Here's my point. I'm nixing the classes and my traditional workouts. I'm going to start doing circuits. I'm also going back to posting my general workout at the bottom of my blog posts. Torture for you, but accountability for me. In fact, I decided this tonight as I was pedaling away on the elliptical. That decision in and of itself was enough to make me reach my 30 minute goal. I'd be mortified if I had to admit to an embarrassing 15 minutes or cardio. 

So, help me out here. Point and laugh shamelessly if I post lame workouts. Remind me of how nice it is to be able to wear all my clothes. Remind me that I've never regretted a workout. Remind me that I cannot blame my tight jeans on the dryer anymore.

Thanks in advance for the pointing and laughing.


___________________________________________

Workout: Cardio - 30 minutes, Lunges with bicep curls, Abs, Burpies

No comments:

Post a Comment