Pages

Thursday, June 21, 2012

The Other Side of Camp.


Here at camp I work on the lake. I spend my days wondering around the waterfront making sure that waterskiing, sailing, kayaking, crew and swimming are all doing what they are supposed to be doing. 

Sometimes I forget that the rest of camp exists. Challenge course is buried back in the woods. I don't even know where riflery is. I only know the horses are at the barn because I can smell them. I have a decent idea of what tennis, soccer and the rest of athletics do all day, but I've never seen them in action.




Perhaps the most elusive area of them all has to be our nature area. I know we have farm animals for the kids to interact with and learn about. I know where nature building is located. But I bet I've been there twice in the past eight years.




The other day was a day off for our staff. Therefore, the animal staff was off camp. Somehow they swindled the office manager into feeding the animals for the day. I volunteered to help. And by 'help', I meant taking pictures and laughing at Aly as she ran in circles chasing the pig.




We have two goats that needed some attention.




They're a bit skittish and haven't quite warmed up to the whole human thing.




We have a pig too. He might be the funniest damn animal on the planet. I think I'll name him Bacon.




He even has the curly tail! 




The poor little guy did not want to eat his chow where he was supposed to so he kept running over the goat food and making a gigantic mess. 




Aly did her best to herd him into his pen, but then she decided she wanted to touch his nose and then he was just plain old pissed off.




We took care of the rabbits too.




And by 'we', I mean Aly. Their creepy red eyes aren't exactly my cup of tea.




I got the duck food but then got sidetracked because I got distracted by their upside down kiddie pool. Aly said it was upside down because they aren't big enough to get in and out of it yet. Apparently we have to build the duckies some stairs so that they can swim. You think I'm kidding. I'm not.




I did try and make friends with the goat, but he wasn't really having it. Although he didn't bite me so I guess I'll take that as a win.




We have a fishing area too, but you know I'm not going anywhere near that nonsense. Neither worms nor fish have legs. 

Fishing in the pond is pretty much my hell on Earth.

If you need me, I'll be in the middle of the lake. Far, far away from the farm animals.


No comments:

Post a Comment