Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Deep Thoughts About the Weekend.

I'm done early.

Early, being 10:30pm. After a challenging day of work, followed by errands in the rain and then several hours of studying, I'm done. It's now 11pm and I have at least two hours of free time before I climb into bed. This is a change. Lately, I'm not done with everything until well after midnight.

This is exciting.

It's amazing how busy life really is sometimes. There are days when I feel like I'm organized and have it all under control. Plans are made, lists are ready, dinner is thawing and my outfits are ironed. Then there are days when I fly by the seat of my pants all day - I do my best - but really, I'm just along for the ride. Nothing to do but keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best.

Last night marked a small turning point in the year. A big project I've been working on for school was finally signed, sealed and delivered to my professor. I celebrated with a glorious night of stress free sleep but woke this morning only to have another big project show up on my computer screen. So, I'll start again. But, this time I'm going to do it better. This time I'm doing it with my priorities in line.

As much as an impending thing can seem like a life or death matter, the truth is, it just isn't. My sanity - now that's important. So now the question becomes, how do I stay sane?

Well, for one, I stop and take time to do nothing. Sitting on the couch with TC to watch a silly re-run. Blabbing about nothing to my mom for an hour. Reading my favorite blog. Going for a run. Picking up a pack of holiday pencils for my kids at school. Buying a new book that I can obsess over until it's finished. These things matter to me. I need these things in my life.

As crazy as the past few days were, it was wonderful. For the first time in weeks I was good busy. The kind of busy that is filled with things that make you happy. Things that you choose to do.

My schedule was full of the good stuff. Yes, there were some stressful school projects.

But there was a beautiful baby shower.

Followed by a photo session for a wonderful family.

And a birthday party for one of my favorite people.

Plus, the transmission in TC's car was rebuilt. (Hallelujah! Praise the Lord!) (Please ignore the rope tying it to a tree and the lawn mower parked under the front (you can see the handle))

I even took a little solo road trip down to Maine and watched the sun rise in my rear view mirror along the way.

I know that the week is almost half way over, but nonetheless - it's going to be a good week.

I'm going to make the time and enjoy the little things and do nothing for a bit everyday. If you don't usually, I hope you find the time to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment