Pages

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Cooking Day...the Mistakes

I'll be chronicling the mistakes I make today as I attempt to make four pies, four casseroles and cranberry sauce. Hold on to your hats, it's going to be a bumpy road.

As my mom so kindly says, I am kitchen retarded. Or what I like to say (slightly kinder), domestically challenged. Don't judge. I'm trying my best!

Mistake 1: Measurements

It's 8am. I have a background in chemistry. I should be able to convert measurements. But, I swear the metric system is against me. All my recipes call for ounces. For example, I need 12oz of pumpkin. In Canada the can of pumpkin is 370ml. Huh? My handy dandy iPhone app tells me that is 15oz. Awesome. I suppose we'll just guess what three ounces looks like and leave that out of the mix. OK, cool.


Mistake 2: Pie Crust

Buy a pie crust, frozen. Check. Wrong. My perfectly measured 12oz of pumpkin pie did not fit in the crust. Not even close. Hmmm...

It's supposed to be a deep dish pie crust. Who knew it mattered? As far as I could tell there was only one option available at the grocery store. Maybe there was another. I didn't look. But, to save my continuously bruising ego we'll just assume that deep dish frozen pie crusts are not to be had in Canada.

I hope everyone is OK eating a shallow pie...

No comments:

Post a Comment