Pages

Saturday, November 27, 2010

Soccer Baseball

The Canadian and I have a saying: It's not wrong, its just different.


We say this a lot, mainly when it comes to cultural differences between American and Canadian.

Case and point:

Last night we went out, with our dear friends Carla and Tyler, to watch some friends who were playing at a local bar. Carla and I were talking about different activities I could get involved with around town. We discussed normal activities like bowling leagues and some strictly Canadian endeavorers like curling. Then I took it one step too far and told her I wished there were kickball leagues in town.

And do you know what she said?

Carla said, "What's kickball?"

Huh? What's kickball? I mean, its only the sport that every American kid grew up playing in their cul-de-sac. It's the sport played in every elementary and middle school gym across the nation. Is it possible that the great game of kickball has eluded our neighbors to the north? How can this be?

So, I explained that kickball is similar to baseball but is played with a rubber ball that is kicked.

I saw the lightbulb come on in her head and she said, "Oh, you mean soccer baseball."

Eh?

Soccer Baseball. Not wrong, just different.

No comments:

Post a Comment