Pages

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

I don't even know what a 4 year old looks like!

I had major grocery shopping to do today. I'm talking major.

See, here in Canada Thanksgiving is celebrated in early October. On a Monday! I don't know if I'll ever understand. But my Southern blood knows that the proper way to celebrate Thanksgiving is at the end of November, just in time to kick off the Christmas Holiday season.

To help bring my southern side up here to the Maritimes I decided to host a big Southern Thanksgiving. I started talking about this weeks ago. We were trying to decide whether to host the big dinner on Thursday or Friday and decided Friday would be better as our friends would be able to stay out a little past their bed times and celebrate more. So, I casually ask my friends what the date is of that Friday. She immediately told me it was November 19. "Great" I said. I went home and spouted off a quick evite to 15 of our closest friends and didn't think a thing of it.

That is the last time I listen to a Canadian about the date of an American holiday.

Now, I know you're thinking that I should know better. After all, I clearly stated before that Thanksgiving is at the end of November and obviously the 19th is not the end. More like the middle.

Oopps. So I scheduled Thanksgiving a week early. Oh well!

You know what the kicker is? I'm pretty sure no one has noticed! Canadians...

My point is that I have been running around like a crazy person for the last week or so getting things ready. My house is...well, let's just say it's being re-done. I'll get to that later.

I've been painting and organizing and planning and learning how to cook. (I don't know how to cook.) I'm busy! But, oh no, I was called in to help out at a local elementary school function. The upcoming kindergardeners were coming in to check out the school they would be going to next year and they needed volunteers to do activities with the kids while the teachers observed.

Me? Seriously? I don't even know what a four year old looks like! Let alone how to talk to them and (brace yourself) entertain them for an hour...with trained professionals and parents watching! Help!

Don't get me wrong, I have plenty of experience working with kids. It's kind of my career...but none of the kids I see are under the age of six. Actually, I prefer the 12-14 year olds. We relate. Is that a good thing? Hmmm...

Anyway, the last thing I had time for was hanging out with kids. I have four pies to make, four casseroles and 15 places to set at a nonexistent table with not enough chairs!

I don't have time!

Not to mention that going to school involved drying my hair (gasp!) and getting dressed in "professional" clothes (ugh).

But I did it. I made time. I dried my hair. I put on my loafers. I drove through the freezing rain into the night.

It was totally worth it. Who knew four year olds were so cute?! Not me.

They wear Thomas the Train rainboots. They get excited when they know that the color of the dinosaur is "Pwurple!" They say things like "I'll be a big gwurl nethxt year and I can come to school!" They like the blue dinosaur the best because "it's a boy color."

We were reading a book about dinosaurs and identifying their colors. Didn't mean to lose you there...

Anyway, all the fuss aside it was pretty hysterical to hang out with four year olds and get lost in a world of dinosaurs. Made me forget all about the Thanksgiving that I planned for the wrong week.

No comments:

Post a Comment