Pages

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Certain Sounds.

I just almost jumped out of my seat. I was excited enough that my eyes manically darted around the room, searching for the phone so I could call someone, ANYONE, and tell them that I am not a total freak.

I can't believe this amazing news I just found out via Pinterest. And then via Google. Clearly, its legitimate.

Wait. Let's back up...



Let me paint a picture for you. It's the middle of dinner at camp. We're having pizza. There are six hundred people eating and chatting in the dining hall. It's loud. I'm walking across the center of the dining hall when I hear it. Someone is scraping a metal spatula against the metal pizza tray. I know they are just trying to clean it. I know that. I know they aren't intentionally torturing me. But I am a freak and I can't stand the sound of metal on metal. I slam my hands into the side of my head to cover my ears, start shaking my head and run out of the dining room. The group of people I was just chatting with is left in my wake looking after me like I have officially lost my mind. They always knew I was a little weird, but I may have just crossed a line.

There are other examples too. TC slurps his coffee and I physically shudder. And get mad. Then I hit him in the leg.

A kid takes a big sniff instead of blowing their nose and I have to look the other way and gag.

Someone chews their food in a quiet place (cough, cough, TC). I get mad. Then I get goosebumps and want to puke.

Really, my weird sound issues are a problem. I manage it fairly well in public (sometimes) but it isn't easy.




Today I was scrolling through Pinterest and see this random fact about Misophonia, which I've obviously never heard of. Who has? It can't be real.

I can't believe it so instantly I get on Google to check it out. According to www.misophonia.info this is a legitimate disorder. It says that Misophonia is "literally the hatred of sound" and is usually a sound that most people generally ignore. It says that the sound actually causes rage and panic.

That's me!

Okay, in all fairness the article does also describe more extreme symptoms and issues, which I don't have. I think it is safe to say that I'm a fairly mild case. But nonetheless I have a legitimate excuse now! TC can no longer scowl at me when I hit him in the leg for slurping his coffee. Best news ever!

Has anyone heard of this disorder? Does anyone else have a hatred of certain sounds?

Maybe it's just me and I'm the only one who legitimately gets mad at coffee slurping, like the world has its own vendetta against me. cough, cough, TC...


No comments:

Post a Comment