Pages

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Lately...


Last week I peaced out from Atlanta and hit the skies to head back to Maine and begin the process of heading back to Canada.

Flying back into my our town in Canada costs somewhere around $8,000,000 so instead I flew to Portland, Maine.





Because of a few technical difficulties, TC and I only had my car at camp this summer. Therefore, at the end of camp he drove my car back to Canada when I flew to Atlanta. That meant that when I flew back to Maine I had no car. 

Enter Ohana. At camp we use the word Ohana to mean family. There are still three guys left working at camp and they dug deep in their hearts to find the kindness to come pick me up from the airport. I think the free dinner and beers I threw in helped seal the deal. 




When I woke up the next morning at camp we made coffee and went to work. What? Did you think we were just hanging out around the fire? No way. We painted. And then painted some more. And took quick breaks to photograph a sad and lonely goose that has been abandoned by it's flock. I'd feel bad for the little dude but I spent my summer avoiding walking in goose poop. Geese and I are not friends.




For dinner that night the boys and I went up to the country store to get the world's greatest sandwiches and a bag of chips. Since we're classy like that, we brought down chairs so we could enjoy our meal with a view of the lake. 




Camp is a crazy place during the summer. I've been at camp several times during the off-season and it is a whole different place when there are only four of you. Suddenly it is really quiet and really dark. Actually, it is a little scary. But I'm a weenie so don't listen to me. 

On Friday, after two days of being at camp, TC drove down to pick me up. We hung out at camp that night and played a crazy game of hide-and-go-seek in the dark. Seriously, I never thought that sentence would come out of my mouth as a 31 year old. I haven't played that game since I was 5 years old.





On Saturday we headed back to Canada. There is a whole lot of nothing in Northern Maine except a great view of Mt. Katahdin.  Its the highest mountain in Maine and the Northern end of the Appalachain Trail.

TC has tried to climb it twice but was turned around both times because of weather. I've tried to get a decent photo of it ten times but the weather has never worked for me either. But finally, success!




Have you ever driven across an international border? It's not cool. The line is always long and slow. Plus you sit there sweating whether they're going to let you into the country or not. I don't know why they wouldn't let me in, but I still manage to worry about it anyway.




Finally, seven hours later, we made it home and I got to see ole Gray Beard again.

After TC and I went to bed that night she decided to check out our walk-in pantry and see if she could find a late night snack to steal. 

The next morning when TC got up he couldn't find her anywhere. Then he heard a little yelp and a whimper coming from behind the door. Not only had she managed to close the door behind her, she knocked over a box and moved the trash can thus leaving her no room to lie down.

Serves her right for raiding the pantry.




We've been hanging around all weekend and doing a whole bunch of nothing. Its been awesome.

I took this photo of TC today and told him that if he ever releases a rock and roll album than this would be the perfect cover. Don't you think he looks like a 70's rock dude?

He doesn't have a musical bone in his body, but if he ever releases an album I'll have this photo waiting.





2 comments:

  1. I am a weenie too and have been in an empty camp setting. It is creepy...
    and geese and I are not friends either. ICK!

    ReplyDelete