Pages

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Geography Lesson.

Canadians are pretty much clueless about American geography. 50 States is just to many to memorize if you don't live in them. They know the basics; Florida, Texas, California, New York, Hawaii, and of course Alaska, but that's about all. I don't hold it against them. It amuses me more than anything.



Case in point. I was talking with a ummm...colleague yesterday when the following conversation ensued.


Other Person (OP): If you could live anywhere in the US, what state would it be?

Me: Hmmm. Probably Tennessee or North Carolina.

OP: Well, if you had to live north of the Mississippi Delta Line, where would you live?

(Let's see. The Mississippi River runs North and South which means you must live East or West of the river. The delta is way down south, last I checked, so pretty much every state is northern in that case.)

Me: Do you mean the Mason Dixon Line?

OP: Yeah, that's what I meant.

Me: The Mason Dixon Line implies the East coast. 

OP: Yup.

Me: Well, I guess Vermont or New Hampshire. Where would you live?

OP: You know, Arizona or Utah. Somewhere with mountains...and the ocean.

There you have it. I hope we have all learned something about American geography today. Go forth and conquer.


No comments:

Post a Comment