Pages

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Lentil, Sausage and Tortellini. Oh My! Soup.


There is another 15 inches of snow heading toward The Canadian right now. I feel bad for him, I really do. I'll be thinking about him while I'm down here in Atlanta. Land of sun. Land of non-frozen windows. Land of warmth. To prove that I really am thinking about him I am going to show you the best soup my taste buds have ever encountered. If I were at home in Canada, I would totally make this today. Totally.




Get out your old friend EVOO. Pour a bit in a pan and heat that baby up.



Go ahead and drop in your sausage links. I used 5 links, but I fed one to the dogs. Feel free to use whatever kind you like. I chose spicy. I like to live on the edge.




While the sausage cooks, open up a can of dried brown lentils. Dump them in your lime green collender and  rinse.


If you don't know what lentils are then do not believe the grocery store guy when he tells you they are bean sprouts. They are not. They come in a multitude of colors. Some in bags, some in cans.




You'll need 3/4 cup of the little devils in the pot. 

P.S. I'm sure you can use a normal pot and stove, but I use my crockpot out of laziness.




Chop up an onion and a half and toss it in the pot. Careful not to loose a finger.




Take 2 cloves of garlic and mince. If you don't know how to cut up garlic you should YouTube directions. Just don't forget to peel it first.




Add a teaspoon of Rosemary and a teaspoon of Basil.




Find the sundried tomatoes that are not in oil at the grocery store. And don't believe the guy when he tells you, "They only come in oil, Ma'am." Wrong. Cut a handful into strips and toss them in. Add as many as you like. Next time I will definitely be adding more.




Right about now your pot should look like this. Delicious.

*I hope you have been turning your sausage this whole time!




Because your fancy peeler is dirty or nonexistent, go dig out your grandpa's peeler that is older than you.




Peel one carrot, chop it up and toss it in. If you want to use two carrots, go for it. By the way, why is it not possible to buy one carrot? Why must I buy a 3 pound bag? 




By now the sausage should be about done. If it is not, pour yourself another cup of coffee and put your feet up. But don't forget to turn the sausage while you're at it.

When they are nice and brown remove them from heat. Wait until they have cooled and then cut them up. Be generous, give a piece to the dogs before you toss it in the pot.




Now that all the dry ingredients are in, you'll want to add 4 cups of chicken broth




I love a broth soup. Makes me feel skinny.




Oh, my. It's going to be good.




Set the crockpot for 3 hours on high. If you're using a stove you're on your own. I'm sure you can figure it out.




30 minutes before serving add a half bag of cheese filled tortellini to the concoction. It will soften right up. 

Please excuse the lighting change, but it was dark by then.




The Canadian thinks it is best served with a Guinness.




Finally, pack the leftovers for freezing. That way The Canadian will be able to eat during the blizzard while I hide in the south. Smart, eh?




I did not invent this recipe. I stole it fair and square from the cookbook that came with my crockpot. I'm not ashamed - it was awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment