Pages

Monday, February 6, 2012

The Case of the Disappearing Green Beans.



Last weekend I reached a breaking point. It was me against the pantry. I was done. Over it. The state of my amazing pantry was no longer acceptable.

The really unfortunate part was I had no one to blame but myself. I hate it when that happens.





Anyway, my pantry is amazing and full of wonderful platters, dishes, containers and appliances. Somewhere in there is also food, but the actual inventory is up for debate.





I cleared it out.





Reorganized and made it functional again.

In all the hustle and bustle I came across six can of green beans.

I hate green beans.

I really hate canned green beans.

I don't even know how they got in my house.

Yes, I do. I mistakingly bought them for Thanksgiving green bean casserole. Turned out the recipe called for fresh green beans.

Anyway, a year later here they are. The Canadian goes into meltdown mode if I ever even think of throwing something away, so I simply lined the six cans up on the counter and let them sit while I rearranged.

TC walked into my mess and looked at the green beans and then looked at my brand new, organized pantry that didn't have an inch to spare. To my shock he said, "Are we ever going to eat these? Probably not. I'll drop them off at the food bank."





"Perfect," I thought. Argument avoided. No asking him to drop them off, no hauling them around myself, no sneaking them into the garbage, no more taking up space in my beautiful pantry.

The cans sat on the counter for a few days last week. I didn't even notice, but at some point they disappeared.

I only noticed their absence when I went searching for a grocery bag last night and guess what I found? Six cans of green beans buried below the grocery bags.

Here I was giving all the credit to TC for following up on his offer and generously donating the green beans to the shelter. Man, I'm such a sucker.





Well, two can play that game. I wrote him a little message and proceeded to hide a can of green beans in his work bag.

When I woke up this morning I looked around the kitchen and congratulated myself on my hiding skills. The can was nowhere to be found so I assumed he hadn't noticed and it was still nestled in his bag.

As I went to leave I grabbed my purse. You know what? It weighed a little more than usual. I bet you can guess was hidden in the depths of it.





So, tonight I went to put the green bean can back in his bag. But I can't find it anywhere. That means he's hidden it somewhere.





Well, I'll show him. I took another can and wrote another message and put it in his bag. Then I put one in the shower.





And I may have put one in the dog food for him to find in the morning.

I might even go put one in the back of his truck. And another one in his sock drawer.


This is war, you sneaky little man.

1 comment:

  1. I want to see pics of the newly organized pantry. And oh my word, you have a lot of Nalgene bottles!

    ReplyDelete