Pages

Monday, February 20, 2012

Chocolate Butterscotch Boston Cream Cake.



Yesterday was our friend Serge's birthday. When I asked him what kind of birthday cake he wanted I expected a normal answer, like chocolate or yellow. Instead, he told me that we would figure it out when he came over to help me make it. Ooookay. I love it! Come on over, dude.

I pressed him to come up with flavors so I could be sure to have the correct ingredients on hand. He seemed to like my suggestion of Boston Cream but thought maybe it would be better with butterscotch pudding and chocolate cake instead of vanilla. Oookay, butterscotch chocolate cake it is.

I decided to forgo my usual Duncan Hines Devil's Food because it's been royally pissing me off lately. But hey, if that's my biggest worry in life I figure I'm doing well. 




Anyway, I stole a chocolate cake recipe online from some famous cook and decided to make three layers instead of two. 




That way you get more pudding, which makes everything better.




As promised, Serge was super helpful and did an excellent job of making the pudding and creating the layers.




Then we whipped up ganache after I convinced him that it was a better choice than regular old frosting. I just don't think buttercream and pudding are meant to coexist.




Somehow, somewhere along the line something went terribly wrong and the cake became the Leaning Tower of Pisa. I'd like to blame it on my assistant but I'm pretty sure the blame is mine.




Serge was thoroughly enjoying painting on the ganache but it was making quite the mess. Being the artist that he is, The Canadian stepped in and proceeded to paint the entire plate with chocolate. Don't be surprised if the Louve calls to put this masterpiece on display.




Seriously, it's a wonder people don't pay me to professionally make cakes.




Really, it's impressively ugly and lopsided...but let me just tell you this - it's damn delicious.

I'm sure when you make it there will be less pressure (ie two men staring you down, pressuring you to make a cake RIGHT NOW!) and it will turn out beautifully. Don't knock it til ya try it.


Copy and Pasteable:

Ganache
8 oz Semi Sweet chocolate
1 cup Heavy Whipping Cream

Coarsely chop chocolate and place in bowl. Bring the cream to a boil. Pour the cream over the chocolate. Stir to mix. Let stand and cool for 5 minutes before using.


Devil's Food Chocolate Cake from David Lebovitz
9 tablespoons Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
1 1/2 cups Cake Flour
1/2 teaspoons Salt
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
1/4 Teaspoon Baking Powder
1 stick Unsalted Butter, softened
1 1/2 cups Sugar, granulated
2 Eggs, large, at room temperature
1/2 cup Coffee, or water
1/2 cup Milk

1. Preheat over to 350
2. Butter 2 9in pans and line with parchment paper
3. Sift together cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cocoa
4. With mixer, beat sugar and butter until creamy
5. Add eggs to butter, one at a time
6. Add in half of the dry ingredients to the butter
7. Add in the milk and coffee
8. Add in remaining half of dry ingredients
9. Divide batter in both pans (three pans if you're cool like me)
10. Bake for 25 minutes (for 2 pans) or 17 minutes (for 3 pans)

Directions for constructing our concoction:

Make Devil's Food cake in 3 9 inch pans. Allow cakes to cool completely. Before stacking, place bottom cake on a cake circle or something similar, the ganache will be messy. On top of the first layer add a half inch layer of butterscotch pudding. Place second cake on top. Add second layer of pudding. Place third layer on top. Make ganache. When cool, use a pastry brush to paint on a thin layer. Chill in the refrigerator for 5 minutes. Add the remaining ganache evenly across the top and sides. Allow to set for 30 minutes before serving. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I love that he helped make his own birthday cake.

    Is Serge single?

    ReplyDelete