Pages

Friday, March 25, 2011

Chicken Soup for the Never Ending Winter Soul. And Other Nonsense.



I decided to make chicken 'n rice soup for dinner tonight. I know, I know, its "spring." But that doesn't mean anything to me anymore. It snowed all morning and it's snowing again tonight. Did Mother Nature not get the memo? I would appreciate it if someone could let her know that the snow is supposed stop now. Suddenly -2 degrees outside is freezing. Two months ago I would have killed, I mean killed, for -2. Compared to -20 is sounded like heaven. But now it suddenly requires a parka. So, because it is still winter I decided to make soup. Because I can't get warm. Ever. Unless I'm in the shower.





It's just your run of the mill soup, the same recipe is found on every website on the planet. Nothing fancy, but holy moly was it ever delicious. I'll put the recipe at the bottom, just in case you're still cold too.





Plus, Maple enjoyed cleaning up all the renegade carrots.




I don't know how all the posts this week have been about food. I don't mean to be all Kitchy McKitchen. I guess there hasn't been too much going on around here.




Unless you want to see what it looks like when a Newfoundland gets brushed.

It's not pretty. It's an obscene amount of hair. This is probably why I found a dog hair in my chicken 'n rice soup tonight. Don't eat at my house. I can't guarantee sanitary conditions.




Or maybe you want to see how freakin' cute our niece is...now that she doesn't scream at the sight of us. She spent months running to her mom whenever we walked in the door. But finally, for whatever reason, she has decided that her uncle and I might not be so bad after all. Thank God, its was starting to get awkward.




Next week will be exciting -- don't you worry. You won't have to hear about my amazing culinary skills at all. In less than 48 hours I am departing for the great state of Colorado. My sister and I will then be embarking on an epic road trip across the country. Destination: New York City. Actually, Jersey City. I just like to say NYC because it sounds way cooler. My goal is to make it to New Jersey without throwing myself out of the moving car. You see, my sister is crazy. Even when we were little and it was MY birthday she still insisted on stealing the show and raising hell. Nothing has changed.

The Canadian gives us a 60/40 chance of survival. Wish me luck.

____________________________________________

Chicken 'n Rice Soup

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 4 hours in crock pot

In crockpot, combine:
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts into small pieces
1/2 c. carrotts, chopped
1/4 c. green onions
3/4 c. celery, chopped
5 c. water
5 vegetable (or chicken) bouillon cubes
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. ground sage
1/2 c. uncooked rice
Cook 7-8 hours on low or 4 hours on high in a crockpot.

____________________________________________

Workout: Cardio - 60 minutes, Weights - triceps, chest, abs

No comments:

Post a Comment