Pages

Monday, March 14, 2011

Road Trip: Eddy & Freddy: Day 3 & 4


So the driving continued as The Canadian and I finished day 3 of our road trip. We left Saint Anne, Quebec and headed back to New Brunkswick. Destination: Edmundston.




We had a package deal booked in Edmundston that included a nights stay in a cabin, two skiing lift tickets and a "hearty" breakfast. The drive took longer than planned due to more bad weather so I spent my time looking for moose. The Canadian kept telling me that moose turn white in the winter just like rabbits do, but I don't believe him. Surely rabbits don't turn white in the winter...do they? I have a degree in biology. I should know these things. 




We finally arrived at our destination and were greeted by a cute little row of cabins. We stay in cabins like this a lot during the summer for two reasons; 1. they're funny 2. it's better than a dirt bag motel room.  




We figured it would be your run-of-the-mill mom 'n pop type cabin. After all, the very nice French owner checked us in and was not overly impressed when we requested extra pillows seeing as she herself does the laundry. Did I mention she was nice? She was. She just has an attachment to her pillows.




Check out this fabulous room. In case you can't tell the upholstery on the chair matches the lamp shade.




I'm not complaining by any means. I've stayed in much worse. And, it was clean. Plus, I love it when every piece of furniture matches the trim and the doors.




It even came with it's own bottle opener attached to the bathroom door frame.




See the door knob?




Poof! Magic. 

When the bathroom door knob came off in my hand The Canadian took the opportunity to give me a quick lesson on how to not get locked in the bathroom if this should ever occur in a public place. It didn't really apply in this situation because the door didn't close all the way anyway.




Ever seen the world's smallest sink? I'm considering applying to the Guinness Book of World Records. When I washed my face all the water splashed right out and soaked my socks. I tried to lean my head in further but I hit the mirror. Oh well, you live and you learn.




We ended up going out for some delicious pizza. You know the kind that's cooked in a wood burning oven? The pizza was fantastic, though not part of my weight loss plan. When we returned to our quaint little cabin we had a night cap - served in only the finest glass ware. Hey, I'm nothing if not classy.




We woke up to rain and ice. It was super fun to skate around the parking lot to our car. Emphasis on 'super.'




Needless to say, we passed on the skiing. Flying down ski slopes in the pouring rain would only be fun if it was opposite day.




So we started heading home and came upon and the world's longest covered bridge. Built in 1901 this bridge stretches .25 miles (1,282 feet to be exact) across some body of water. I don't know, I couldn't see it because of all the damn fog. I assume there was water under the bridge.

It's only wide enough for one car so when approaching you simply watch for headlights. If there are no headlights, you proceed. If there are headlights, you wait. It's a good thing we figured this out because there is definitely no sign to explain. 




The bridge is the pride and joy of the tiny town of Hartland, New Nrunswick. Don't quote me on that. I just assumed its a small town based on the sign.




An hour up the road from Hartland we made a stop in Fredericton, the capital of New Brunswick. It is also home to The Canadian's alma mater (and he realllly likes to take a trip down memory lane whenever he can) but really we stopped for one reason and one reason only - the farmers market.




The Fredericton market is known far and wide...




For their samosas. Yes people, this is why we stopped. For a few bites of Asian (or is it Indian? Middle Eastern? All of the above?) fried goodness. 




Ever had one? They're amazing. You can choose between beef, chicken, lamb, turkey or veggie. They all come either spicy or mild. The Fredericton market makes them like nobody's business. Well except maybe Asia...but I've never been to Asia so it doesn't count.




I LOVE the spicy veggie. Besides the potatoes I don't know what is in there but I could eat samosas all day. I could write songs about them. Poetry, even.




Anyway, as we finally pulled back into our hometown, with mouths full of samosas, would you know what decided to make an appearance? The sun. 

Mother Nature has such good timing.

(Note: Excuse the smudge on the window. It's salt. I guess I could have rolled down the window but it was cold. And let's be honest, you don't care anyway. When I took this photo The Canadian asked what I was taking a picture of. When I replied "The sun," he just rolled his eyes.)




_____________________________________________

Workout: Cardio - 61 minutes (to be exact), Weights - Upper back, hamstring, quads, abs

No comments:

Post a Comment