Pages

Friday, March 18, 2011

A Field Trip.


I was raised in a family that bought meat from the grocery store. My family didn't raise pigs, didn't hunt and did not go to a butcher for meat. In fact, I'm not sure a butcher shop even exists in my hometown.

But this whole learning-to-cook thing has made me spread my wings a bit.

Once, very briefly, some friends and I stopped by the local meat market to pick up a meat pie. When we walked in I didn't even know what to do with myself. It was like a grocery store that only sold meat - what a concept! I didn't buy anything because at the time I would not have known what to do with a piece of raw meat except to cram it in the back of my freezer and wait for someone else to cook it.

Those days are gone as I am currently capable of browning beef, baking chicken and baking salmon. It's not much, but it is a hellva lot better than where I was three months ago.




My new found culinary skills have now lead me to spend way more time than I would like at the grocery store, mainly waiting in line. I hate waiting in line. Especially when the person ahead of you is moving slower than my grandmother in molasses. Seriously, do you not have somewhere to be? Pick up the pace, people! I know I should not think bad thoughts of these slow people. I can't help it. Waiting in line makes me anxious. Makes me mean. Makes me break out in hives.

Anyway, I have found a solution. The Meat Market. No lines. Fast service. You get exactly what you need. Reasonable (read: cheap) prices. I'm there.




I took a trip to the butcher shop the other day and stocked up solely because the prices were too good to pass up. Well, that and it saves me from waiting in line at the grocery store for at least another week or so.

All this food for $15. Done. Done. And done. Remember, that's $15 Canadian which is like $10 US.




Salmon dinner for $4 -- I'll take it.




Here's the important part of my little field trip.

On my way home I was minding my own beeswax, driving along when I saw this. Look at the photo carefully. What do you see that is a miracle of God?

I'll wait...

Not the ambulance. That's not exciting. Not the sun either, although always nice.




Grass!!!!! Grass. Like, the green stuff. Like, no snow. Like, bust out the lawn mower and get your groove on.

Do you know how long it has been since I have seen those beautiful blades of green goodness?

It's a miracle, I tell you.


_________________________________________


Workout: Cardio - 20 minutes (I was tired and NOT in the mood.) Weights - Triceps (My arms felt like lead. Instead of working out I went home and ate tacos. It's the American thing to do.)

No comments:

Post a Comment