Pages

Saturday, March 5, 2011

First, Grease the Pan.

Every week The Canadian is responsible for providing his staff with Friday snack. Typically I pick up snack at the store and choose the same basic things every week; cheese and crackers, grapes, chips and salsa and a blueberry or chocolate loaf. Apparently my snack choices are growing old with the staff. So in an effort to come up with something new and different this week I decided to whip up a batch of rice krispie treats. Creative, I know.




My mom, like every other mom in the world, has made rice krispie treats for as long as I can remember. While I've eaten her rice krispie treats all these years, somehow I have managed to never actually make them myself. But surely a girl as smart as me is capable of mixing some stinkin' marshmallows and rice krispies together, right? Sort of.




For whatever reason, the box of rice krispies no longer comes with the basic recipe on the back. So I went to kelloggs.com and wouldn't you know it, but they don't list the basic recipe either. It's all football treats and flower treats and mixed with chocolate, peanut butter and every other ingredient under the sun. So I used my problem solving skills and removed the football and chocolate from a recipe and made the rice kripsie treats in the most basic way possible.




But when I went to cut them into pieces and arrange the treats they simply would not come out of the pan. Hmmm....it seems the good people at Kellogg's forgot to mention that the pan must be sprayed or greased. It would have been really helpful to know that. Just ask the spoon and spatula that lost their lives to the rice krispie treats battle.




This got me thinking. Why didn't the recipe mention greasing the pan? Is this something I'm just supposed to know? If so, why do I not know these basic facts? How did I miss the boat on all things domestic? This seems to happen to me a lot. I never know if you're supposed to boil the water first when making noodles, I never know exactly what 'medium heat' means, are you supposed to bake the potato on a sheet or right on the rack? I never seem to know the basics. But I've been learning. I've learned how to bake chicken and to brown ground beef. I've learned how to steam broccoli, bake a potato and cut an avacado. Mostly I've learned by calling my mother eight million times but I also google all my stupid questions. Google answered my question when I didn't know what a sauce pan was and when I didn't know how to poach an egg. However, these basic techniques are not easily found on google. It's all fancy recipes and what not, it's never just the basic directions that include whether the pan needs to be greased and if the tomato needs to be washed first.




So, I'm going to create a second blog to fix this problem. Surely there is another kitchen challenged person out there that googles these ridiculous questions also. I'm going to show all the basic steps of the most basic cooking skills. Nothing fancy, just the basics. This way when some poor clueless person like myself wants to make rice krispie treats they will know to grease the pan first.




I've been trying to come up with names for this blog. So far I've come up with:

Over Medium Heat
Bake at 350
Domestically Declined
Boil Water First
Fancy Schmancy
Turn on the Oven
How to Peel a Potato
What is a Sauce Pan?

The others that I really like are already taken:

How to Crack an Egg
Nothing Fancy
Domestically Challenged



Seeing as I am not remotely funny or witty, I was hoping you could help me out with a new title. Something that implies basic techniques or questions. Things that should be obvious, but clearly are not.
Thoughts??


Friday Workout: Cardio - 45 min, Weights - Triceps, Hamstrings, Abs
Saturday Workout: Cardio - 20 min, Weights - Abs, Lower Back (don't judge! When I was finally ready to head to the gym I realized all my workout clothes were in the laundry. By the time I finally washed one set I only had 45 minutes until the gym closed. This was NOT my fault.)

No comments:

Post a Comment