Pages

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

That Came Out of Nowhere.

I don't know what got into me tonight.

I was a wild woman. A raging badass.



Let me back up. Two nights ago I went to the gym and hopped on the treadmill. I had a handy-dandy little running plan on a scrap piece of paper that I planned to follow. My goal was 30 minutes and I completed my run with no problem. The key to this little running plan of mine was that the pace changed every minute or two. It gave me something to think about. Something other than wanting to kill myself. I was so busy trying to keep up with the plan that the minutes blew by and the 30 minutes were up before I knew it.

In the end I had done 2.75 miles. Not bad, considering 1) I can't run and 2) there were a few minutes of recovery walking built in.

But still, that distance bothered me. I should've bucked up and rounded it out to a nice 3 miles.

So tonight I returned to the treadmill. The plan was similar, follow my same plan and hit 3 miles, even if it meant going over my 30 minutes.

Last spring I was doing 45-60 minutes of cardio a night but I've been lazy lately. Thirty minutes is all I can mentally handle for some reason, as evidenced by the ever expanding size of my thighs.




But tonight I was in a mood. I needed the pain. I needed the sweat. I needed to think about something other than all the nonsense that's been weighing on me.

Wouldn't you know it, I hit 3 miles and kept going. From there 4 miles didn't seem so far.

Then I hit 4 miles, which just so happens to be the farthest my legs have ever run - ever. And that was only because I was really pissed off at a $500 bill my mechanic handed me that day so many years ago.

Something clicked in my head tonight at mile 4 and I knew I could make it to 5 miles if I only pushed myself for another few minutes. That would be a record! I just needed a couple more good songs on my iPod to get my energy up.

I hit 5 miles and took a photo of the treadmill screen to send to my dad who is a badass marathoner. I thought he would be impressed.

But then I thought, You know what would really blow his mind? 6 miles. 






BOOM! I did it. 6 miles, baby. Unreal.

I've never been in so much pain in my whole life. (My legs are screaming at me.)

My face has never looked like such a giant tomato. (It's a sexy look.)

I've never been so proud of an athletic accomplishment. (It'll probably never happen again.)

And I've never in my life have I wanted to lay down and go to sleep in my comfy bed as bad as I do right now.



Like Maple here. She's got this whole comfy sleeping thing down pat.

If you need me tomorrow I'll be hobbling around in an Advil induced coma.

No comments:

Post a Comment