Pages

Monday, November 21, 2011

A Baby Shower for Carla.


My very good friend Carla is preggo! And man, she is all belly. Carla looks just like every pregnant woman could ever hope to look. The countdown is on - 4 weeks to go and she'll have a sweet new baby to bring home. Did I mention that its going to be a surprise? She and Tyler have decided to wait to find out if it is a boy or girl and they're not giving us any hints to potential names. The suspense may kill me. 



This morning we had a baby shower brunch for her. I teamed up with two of Carla's close friends to get everything together. We planned every ounce of the party via Facebook. Not one actual phone conversation, no planning over coffee, nothing. Just good ole Facebook. 



Thankfully Jenn made the most amazing diaper cake I have ever seen. Blankets, lotions, stuffed animals, towels, diapers, the whole nine yards. 

I was telling The Canadian about the diaper cake and it was obvious he was having trouble wrapping his head around it, "So, the diapers were in the cake?" It finally clicked with me and I explained that a diaper cake is not edible...it just looks like a cake. Maybe this picture will help him understand. Poor guy.


Anyway, I spent most of Saturday preparing for the shower.




I prepped and froze the most amazing non-spiked punch ever. Thank you Blue Eyed Bride for the recipe. I had my reservations when I first read the recipe but it was delicious. Definitely going in my arsenal of easy recipes that make me look like a domestic badass even though I'm not.




Can someone please explain to me why lemons float and limes sink? I'm not okay with this. And what happened to the rubber duckies that were supposed to float in my awesome jug? Sometimes I think I would lose my head if it weren't attached.





The fruit kabobs were quick and easy for me. Not so much for The Canadian though. First you should know that I had a hard time finding skewers at the store. I asked several grocery store employees where the kabob skewers were located. When greeted with a black stare I then proceeded to explain exactly what I was looking for. Inevitably, at the end of every conversation the employee would say, "Oh, you mean sticks. Yeah, we don't have any." Last I checked, a stick is something that falls from a tree. Or maybe something that you roast marshmallows on. But pointy wooden things for food? Those are skewers. 

Either way, I finally got my grubby little hands on some skewers that were like 14 inches long. So, I handed them to TC and asked if he could cut them down. Scissors didn't work. Neither did the power saw (apparently skewers explode into splinters and fly everywhere). In the end he used...well, actually I don't really know what he did. What matters is that they were the perfect length to fit on my pretty silver tray.




I also made a delicious Blueberry Stuffed French Toast (Casserole). It didn't turn out exactly how I remembered it, but it was good nonetheless. The recipe needs some tweaking but I feel that success is within reach of my pathetic culinary abilities. I'll keep you posted and let you know when I conquer this beast.





Lollipop wash clothes look all simple and cute until you sit down to make them. It took me six days to make six lollipops. They were testing my patience like no body's business. Thankfully, I was filling the bucket with Reece's and a few may have jumped out of the bag and landed in my mouth. I don't know how it happened but it sure made everything better.





My favorite part of the preparation was making the cupcakes in a jar to gift as party favors. I'm such a nerd - I've been waiting for an excuse to make these. I need a life. TC helped with the endeavor in the most manly way possible - sprinkling sprinkles. Ladies, only a real man is up to that task.

However, it should be noted that while his skills were extremely helpful (he tried the strings too) it was only in an effort to avoid raking the lawn. He can claim he just wanted to help me all day long. But I'm no fool. I don't want to rake frozen leaves either. Hence, my insistence that I would need to spend all day in the kitchen.




Oh, and I weenied out and bought Tim-Bits too; the Tim Horton's version of Munchkins. There was other food as well but I got all frazzled and forgot to take photos. Sausage balls, quiche, muffins...you know what that stuff looks like, right?




Why am I making this all about me? Hello, it was about Carla and all the adorable baby stuff she got. She racked up. If anyone ever wants to host a baby shower for me please see all these ladies for gift ideas. They know what they're doing.




Oh, and of course we played games. Debi killed it and took every single person's clothes pin for saying the word baby. I think I lasted about two minutes. We also played the Name Game. Each girl had two minutes to list a baby name for each letter of the alphabet. You got one point per unique name. That is, if you listed the same name as someone else then the name didn't count. People got creative and came up with good names like Shamiqua, Opal and Red. But the best name? B is for Beast. Can you imagine? bahahahaha. I could go on, but I'll spare you this one time.




Thanks ladies for a fun shower!

_________________________________________

Today I'm thankful for... my dogs.

__________________________________________

Sunday Workout - nothing. no time.

Saturday Workout - quick 30 minutes on the elliptical and some speedy abs and triceps dips.


1 comment:

  1. Anything less dense than water (wood, oil, ice cubes, lemon, etc.) will float in water.

    Anything more dense than water (concrete, lead, limes, etc.) will sink in water.

    ReplyDelete