Pages

Friday, November 11, 2011

Lest We Forget.


As far as I can tell Remembrance Day is the Commonwealth equivalent to America's Veteran's Day. Both days are meant to remember those that have fearlessly served their countries. As I just learned, after a quick Google search, both days fall on November 11 to mark the signing of the Armistice that ended World War I.  I say that like I know what an armistice is...I didn't, but I do now. This is turning into quite the history lesson for me. Anyway, an armistice is a war time situation where the fighting parties agree to stop fighting. There you go, your first history lesson for the day.

Here in Canada everyone wears poppy pins to honor of those who have served. At the beginning of November the poppies start popping up everywhere (haha). Vets sit at tables in grocery stores, the mall, and other strategic places around town while wearing their respective uniforms (most of the time) and handing out poppies for a small donation. Everyone, and I mean everyone, wears a poppy on their jacket over their heart for weeks. As I just learned, the reason we wear poppies is because the poppy bloomed all across some of the worst battlefields in Europe during WWI. That, my friends, is your second and final history lesson for the day. You're welcome.

So thank you, thank you to all the men and women out there who have served their countries!

Oh, before I forget. Fun fact: If you were born on June 11, 1981 then today is your 11,111th day on Earth. Dammit, I was ten days too early. That means today is my 11,121st day on Earth. Not nearly as cool.

________________________________________

Today I'm Thankful For....our troops.


________________________________________


Workout: Cardio - 45 minutes. The gym closed early because of Remembrance Day. Also, the grocery store was closed (for the holiday) which meant that I couldn't make the cinnamon rolls that I planned to make so the lack of sweetness has got to count for an extra hour at the gym, don't you think? Oh wait, I bought ice cream at the gas station so nix that part about extra gym time.

No comments:

Post a Comment