Pages

Monday, November 14, 2011

Oh, How I Love the Market.


One of the best parts of living in the Maritimes is the Farmers Market scene. I wonder if Canadian's take this for granted? Do they realize that not every town in the world has a market with such loyal customers? Sure, markets exist in the States, but not like they do here. In the Maritimes, every town has one and they are serious business. The vendors are serious about their craft and we customers are serious about our buying. It's a win win situation.

The market is a staple in our weekend plans. Every Saturday The Canadian and I wake up and head to the market. Sometimes we even bring the dogs. But only if they're behaving that morning.




The first stop is always to visit our favorite coffee girls. There are several coffee vendors, but like I said, we're loyal. We go to the same girls who know our order every time. 




Their secret to making my medium size medium roast coffee so delicious? A squirt or two or pure maple syrup. It does a body good.




We then take a lap for no other reason than for the sake of taking a lap. The vendors are always the same, we always stop and take the same samples from the greek chicken guy and I always stare at the fresh veggies and think I should really start buying my produce from the market.

We inevitably run into some of our friends. Tyler and Carla are usually there a bit early, as is Serge. Jackson and Ally are a rare treat. Adam is there later in the morning and depending on how hard Julie partied the night before she sometimes makes an appearance too. You never know who will be your company for breakfast that day.

Which brings me to my point. The real reason we go to the market. Breakfast.




In keeping with my theme of loyalty, I go see the same woman every week. Her name is Joy. Well, at least her booth is called Joy's Waffle House, so I think it's a pretty safe assumption. I've never actually introduced myself but I'm pretty sure she at least recognizes me. After all, we do have meaningful conversations about the state of our dogs and their shedding while we wait for my whole wheat waffle to cook. Plus, she knows that I like blueberries on my belgium waffle ever since I had to find a new source of breakfast one morning when she was out of my beloved blueberries.




So while The Canadian wanders through the market trying to decide between sushi, curry, falafel, or breakfast burritos, I patiently wait in line for Joy to work her magic and make me the best meal I have all week.




Fresh pineapple, strawberries, blueberries, kiwi and bananas...you can have whatever you want. I keep it simple and opt for blueberries and banana. Plus a bit of whip cream then a spoonful of Joy's top-secret-delicious 'crumble' and a healthy squirt of pure maple syrup. Heaven on a plate, I tell ya.




My love for the market has got me thinking. There must be some money to be made, right? Otherwise, all these smart people wouldn't be spending their entire Saturday, every weekend, getting here at 5:30am to sell their goods, right? So, what is my million dollar plan? I don't really know. I need one. Actually, I've got one up my sleeve. I'll give you a hint. It involves cupcakes. I can't tell you anymore than that. Or I'll have to kill you. Wouldn't want you stealing my million dollar idea, now would I? 

I'll let you know as soon as I make my first million. But until then, you'll be able to find me, un-showered, looking awesome, and stuffing my face with waffles at the market on Saturday mornings.

Over and out.

__________________________________________

Today I'm thankful for...reheated Sunday dinner at my in-law's house. because life got in the way and we missed the actual dinner.

__________________________________________

Workout - nothing. back off. i was busy today.

No comments:

Post a Comment