Pages

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Sangria. It's Wine's Long Lost Cousin.



You know what I could totally go for right now? Sangria. Or a pickle. Or buffalo chicken.

I need something potent - spicy, salty, whatever. My taste buds are shot because an evil cold has invaded my respiratory system for the second time this month. This time I blame the kindergartners that I worked with last week. My usually tough-as-nails immune system falls apart whenever I even look at a kindergarten classroom.

Happens. Every. Time.

I'm having an unusually large glass of wine tonight, in hopes of knocking myself out so I can sleep through the constant coughing and stuffy nose.





Wine is great. Sangria is better.

For all of you 'I don't really like Sangria' people out there - you haven't made it with brandy.





Try it, I promise you'll like it. It's the perfect refreshing drink for a warm summer evening on the patio.

Not that I have a patio. Definitely not that it is summer here. But you get what I mean.





Ingredients:

1 750 ml bottle of red wine
1/4 cup brandy
1/4 cup triple sec or Grand Marnier
1 apple or pear, peeled, cored, thinly sliced
1/2 orange, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1/2 lemon, thinly sliced
1/4 cup sugar
500 ml sparkling water, if you're like me. 750 ml will work as well.

Instructions: Combine everything except the sparkling water in a large pitcher. Cover and chill for a minimum of 2 hours. Add sparkling water just before serving.

*adapted from Emeril Live with Emeril Lagasse




For the record, this is Canadian approved (as evidenced by Cuatro de Mayo) and Southern approved (as evidenced by my friend Sally's wedding shower).

____________________________________

Workout: nothing. i'm sick. hello? did you not just read the post? darn kindergartners.


No comments:

Post a Comment