Pages

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Easter Bunny Food.


I saw some similar carrots in a small candy shop in Iowa a few weeks ago and thought it was the cutest and most simple Easter treat ever. Since I'm all about minimal effort and cute results I decided to try it in honor of the upcoming Bunny Day. Besides, it was snowing this afternoon and I needed some spring in my step. 

You heard me. Snow. Today. Awesome.


 

I tried to just run over to the grocery store to buy Snyder's pretzel rods but there were none to be had anywhere in the store. I'm thinking 'Is there a run on pretzels because everyone is making carrots like me?' but no, they were just hidden in a place on the manager knew of. That's right. I asked the manager for pretzels. Desperate times call for desperate measures, people.




This is so easy. Ready?

Put orange chocolate chips (??) in a bowl in a pot of water on the stove (aka double boiler). And keep the heat on low, for God's sake. 




Have patience. Just because it's easy doesn't mean it's quick.




Once the chocolate is melted and smooth go ahead and dunk most of the pretzel in. My bowl wasn't deep enough so I poured the chocolate on the pretzel instead. Much easier. 




It's really helpful if you can get a helper to hold the pretzel for a second after dipping to get the final drips off. Your helper could be a 5 year old or The 33 year old Canadian. Either will work.




Once the drips are off have your helper lie the pretzel down on parchment paper. The bottom side of the pretzel is going to be flat -- that's just the way it is. Move on.




Let the orange set for at least 30 minutes. Then begin melting the green for your carrot tops.




Be careful! If you turn up the heat too much or accidentally splash water in the chocolate you'll end up with a clumpy mess. Then you'll have to send The Canadian out in the snow and hail to buy you more green chocolate. And then you'll be forever in his debt and owe him a batch of cookies.




Attempt #2. Success.


 

Dip the top in until the green meets the orange.




Be sure to dip the broken pretzels too. Mini bunnies like mini carrots. Or so I heard.




Let the carrots set on parchment paper. Or wax paper. Or wherever. Just be sure it's out of the dog's reach.




And there you have it. The perfect food for an Easter Bunny. 




I've almost convinced myself that it's healthy and good for my eye sight.




See? I told you it was snowing today. I wouldn't lie to you.

_________________________________________

Workout: Nothing. I'm sick. I'm sick of being sick. I would like to order a new respiratory system. I'll even pay the extra shipping to overnight it. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment